||Friends of |
Rock Park is situated
on the south-west side of Llandrindod Wells covering approximately 12 acres (4.9 ha)
of land which slopes from the North towards the River Ithon, which forms the western
boundary of the park. It is one of the earliest public parks in Wales dating from
the late 1860s, when the arrival of the railway and the enclosure of common land
led to the development of Llandrindod as a flourishing spa town.
The Cadw Register of Historic Parks and Gardens in Wales lists the Rock Park as
Grade II*, along with the other four parks. They are:
- Rock Park, which includes the Spa Buildings comprising the original Pump Rooms and
Bath House, plus extensive outdoor bowling greens.
- Montpellier Park, now largely built-up with indoor bowling greens, hard tennis
courts, car parking and a large pavilion. Only the small southern part can be regarded
as parkland and is contiguous with Rock Park through a railway underpass.
- Temple Gardens, a small area of garden and modern bandstand, north-east of
- The Lake and Common, incorporating an 18-hole golf course, a lake (1872) and
next to the Pump House Hotel, now replaced by modern County Buildings.
The central area of Rock Park is occupied by the Spa Buildings, which comprise the
former Pump Rooms, which have been converted to a restaurant, presently closed, and the
Bath House, now used as a Health Centre with some 15 practitioners offering a variety of
treatments. There are a number of mineral springs in the park, including saline, sulphur,
magnesia, lithia, radium and chalybeate, the last being the only one that is still
available to drink from a marble drinking fountain. A Victorian arboretum occupies
the northern part of the park with native woodland to the West along the banks of
the River Ithon. A Site of Special Scientific Interest lies along the steep banks
of the river. A network of paths connect the different areas and bridges cross the
Arlais Brook, which runs through on a south-west diagonal to join the river. At
the south-west extremity a natural rock outcrop above the river, known as
Loverís Leap, provides a viewing point.
Montpellier Park, originally enclosed in about 1870 as a recreation ground, lies to
the eastern side of the railway line, which runs north-south between the two park. It is
accessible from Rock Park through an underpass. Only the southern part may be regarded as
parkland with the Arlais Brook forming it's southern boundary.